Thursday, April 14, 2011

Unfinished projects

I mentioned in my previous post that I was going to dedicate a post to the first purse I ever wanted to make. This is that post.

As you can tell by the title, the first purse I ever wanted to make, never was made. I saw it on this typepad blog in 2009. I was so excited because my coworker gave me a fuschia bridesmaid dress that I knew I was going to scrap for the lining.




I went online to buy my fabric for the exterior. I didn't know the difference between fabric types, so I made my purchase based on the screen shot: a tweed like fabric and damask pattern. The tweed was fine, but the damask turned out to be laminated cotton -- mistake #1.

I ironed -- mistake #2 -- and cut everything out and began sewing the pieces together -- mistake #3. I ended up with the major sections of the bag: the exterior, lining, sash, and accessory button.




And I never put it together. Since then, I've started and finished many projects. Just never got around to completing this one.

I think I should set a goal. Or incentive, rather, I cannot start on my Buttercup Bag until I finish the Tea Clutch.


Notes~
Mistake #1: Laminated cotton is not meant for elegant style bags. Maybe a table cloth, a baby bib, or a lunch bag -- but it's not pretty when it's on a dressy clutch.

Mistake #2: If you iron laminated cotton, it should be at a low setting on the wrong side, perhaps even with a guard to prevent the laminated side from melting and fusing to your iron board.

Mistake #3: When working with laminated cotton, you cannot make mistakes. Just like satin, it will show the puncture holes of the needle. I made a LOT of mistakes, the tweed and cotton combination was way too thick for the tension on my machine and I popped a few needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment