Thursday, October 11, 2012

Naptime fun


The preschool we plan on sending Ella to requires uniforms and that all students have standard items -- so there are less distractions on material goods and more focus on learning.  I grew up this way, and I agree, it's easy to get distracted by pretty Hello Kitty pencil boxes instead of Advanced Reading Skills workbooks.  Anyway, I knew I wouldn't need to be super-crafty-mom unless it was to come up with something for special celebrations.

Two and a half weeks ago, Ella started "school".  For the past 2 years, "popo" and "papa" (grandma and grandpa) watched her while Ryan and I were at work, but to free up some of their time and to get Ella used to being at school for a few hours everyday, we started sending her to a co-op with other kids her age.  Uh-oh, that means she can wear casual clothes and have customized personal items?!  Here comes super-crafty-mom!!

So it's only been two weeks, I haven't gotten crazy and made new outfits to correspond with a different pair of shoes for every day (although for a 2 year old, she does have a lot of shoes).  But I did try to make a sheet to cover her nap mat!


I whipped out my stash of Premier Prints Suzani in white and candy pink.  I bought 2 yards of it the year Ella was born.  I was initially going to make floor cushions for her bedroom, but just never got to it.

.
The description says it's supposed to be used for stuff like valences and bedskirts, can be laundered but not dried.  Well, you know what, I wash those things because it gets really dusty and I dry them because it takes too long to air-dry!  Plus, the little label from fabric.com said it was "Sheeting".  I'm making a sheet right?  ...don't worry, I pre-washed/dried it and it was actually fine.  It just feels like a medium-weight percale.  It's probably more comfy than a thin sheet on those vinyl mats.  Plus at the time, it was only $6.98 a yard, cheaper than it's going for right now!
 
I modified the tutorial on making a fitted crib sheet from What the Hay to figure out the dimensions I needed.  Hopefully I can get that together and post about that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment