Friday, October 26, 2012

Halloween treats

I've always wanted to make school treats, but I went to a small private school that didn't really allow for "distractions" even for birthdays and holidays. We did have some opportunities to share treats, like Christmas where every student brought one dozen cookies to share.

With Ella in co-op, I'm excited that I finally have that chance! Ok, so basically she only has 4 other kids in her class, but there are other classes filled with kids. For Halloween, all the kids are gonna dress up and go trick-or-treating during the work day!

So as "her contribution", I wanted to do something fun. I thought it was lame to do a mini favor bag with fun size candy, so I thought, why not decorate a bigger yummy treat?

My little Cookie Monster loves wafers, especially chocolate ones like Loacker. So we grabbed a bunch from Price Busters ( they were 50 cents each... A little pricey, but since there aren't too many kids, I didn't mind) and I went to brainstorming.

I knew I wanted to make little Halloween themed treats, so I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out a base to add the decorations. Basically it's an open ended box to fit the wafer (2" x 3" x .75"), the template was a rectangle with perforated lines to ease folding.

I also cut out some random shapes and grabbed a baggie of googley eyes.

This past weekend, I made a craft night out of it, and Ella was so excited to help out. I started by making one of each character and let her try to match what I did. Here's Ella hard at work making Frankenstein's monster:




The clear tacky glue was a bit messy and sometimes didn't hold up too well. I would recommend glue dots or similar adhesive if you have it.

She was so proud that she could do it by herself!



Here's the finished set - a ghost, a jack-o-lantern, spider, vampire, and Frankenstein's monster:



We made a total of 28 little favors, and Ella actually pieced together 21 of them!  Not bad for the attention span of a 2.5 year old.  I packaged each favor into a clear, self-sealing sleeve (in case the pieces started to fall off) and added a little choking hazard sticker to be safe.  All the kids are under 5, so I'm sure most of the parents will help them sort through the goodies, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment