So why am I posting? I want to make matching t-shirts for me and the munch!
I started with one of my favorite tops, it's a teal striped tee from BR factory that I got for 10 bucks! Don't worry, I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy more. The next weekend, it was back at $25. Anyway, I needed a pattern and sizing, so I folded the top in half and did a rough sketch - including seam allowances. If you're wondering about the paper -- it's an old roll of butcher paper that Ella colors all over.
I know people buy knit fabric, but I'm being cheap here and I don't want to spend money on yardage if I end up hating it. I went to Ross' and got a XL Twin set of jersey for $8.99. That's a pillow case, flat sheet, and fitted sheet -- for the price of 1 yard!
You know what's also great about having a sheet set? That's right, finished edges! I cut out my pattern using the finished edges for some of the hems, I actually used the pillow case for my top. I basically only needed to cut the neck hole and arm holes. I will either take in the sides if needed, or leave it straight. We'll see how it turns out first.
Using another finished edge, I cut out my sleeves.
In the process, I also cut out Ella's pieces, too. I didn't use the finished edge on her sleeves -- I didn't want to waste too much fabric (I figured if this turned out well, I may want to make matching maxi dresses with the leftovers) and honestly I didn't think about using the finished edge for the sleeves until after I cut hers out.
That was a lot for one night, hopefully since all the pieces are cut, and all I have to do is assemble, I'll actually finish and it won't be sitting on the craft table for the next week.