Friday, September 2, 2011

Cooking: Kale salad with soy citrus dressing

After all those artery clogging recipes, I had to post a palette cleanser. Although, after eating this, you may feel just as guilty. It's kinda good.

It's one of the first times* Ryan and his parents ever tried kale. It was so new to them, they didn't know what to make of the texture and flavor, but they did admit it wasn't bad!

Ingredients:
kale
carrots
red cabbage

For Dressing:
4 oz shoyu
4 oz olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 oz lemon juice (juice from one lemon)
1 oz water

Directions:

Soak kale well to clean all dirt off.
Chop kale finely, only down to tender ribs.
Julienne-cut carrots and shred red cabbage.
Mix all veggies in a bowl.

Use blender to combine dressing ingredients.
Pour dressing over salad and toss lightly until dressing covers the salad.


Other elements:
*Ryan tried deep-fried tempura battered kale at one of our local farmer's markets, but he said he forgets what it was like. And I admit, it tastes nothing like fresh kale, especially with a bite-size scoop of spicy ahi. We need to go back... I'm in the mood for sausage sticks and fried green tomatoes, too!

1 comment:

  1. I'll definitely try this. I wasn't sure if my girls or even my DH for that matter would eat kale so I ended up juicing it in the juicer with other veggies and added fruits for flavor. hehe...the deceiving things us moms have to do to get our children to eat right. lol! I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete